Winneconne Historical Society
History of Bridges
Several bridges have spanned the river over the years. A float bridge was constructed in 1853 by JD Rush. Prior to that bridge Indians operated a ferry and that was the only means of crossing the river.
A wooden bridge followed in 1871 and served until 1888 when work began on an iron bridge. (The key that turned the wooden bridge may be seen hanging on the wall of the railroad depot that is part of the Winneconne Historical Society Museum complex at Marble Park).
The iron bridge had sidewalks to accommodate anglers and wooden planks on the bridge floor that rattled evry time the traffic crossed. The speed limit over this bridge was 5 miles per hour for both horse drawn carriages and automobiles in 1915.
The next bridge was a draw bridge completed in 1936 and named after Senator Merritt E. White. This bridge went through renovations in 1990 and it was the only bridge in the state of Wisconsin from which fishing was legal until 2018 when construction began on the newest bridge.
The construction of the newest bridge for Winneconne is in progress as this is being written. Once this bridge is open the Merritt F. White bridge will be taken down. Fishing piers on both sides of the Wolf River will be installed for fishermen.
Click here to view complete photo album of historical Winneconne bridges.