There are 2 cemeteries located in the village of Winneconne. One is referred to as the old town cemetery and is located at the corner of 5th street and Division. It was in use until 1872. This cemetery was not maintained for many years and many of the headstones are missing.
The Winneconne Cemetery is owned and maintained by the Village, for the benefit of all citizens. It was founded in 1871 by the Winneconne Cemetery Association which conveyed the cemetery property and trust funds to the Village in 1962. The Cemetery Association made several additions to the original plat between 1871 and 1962. There have been two additions under Village ownership; the John M. White Addition in 1969 and a two-acre land purchase in 1962, which has not yet been developed.
A Cemetery Board, consisting of five members appointed by the Village President and approved by the Village Board, together with the Clerk-Treasurer, oversees the maintenance of records and property and recommends rules, regulations, and cemetery charges for approval by the Village Board.
Visitors are welcome to visit the cemetery during the hours of 7a.m. until dusk. For additional information on the cemetery, please contact the Village Office during regular business hours.
Winneconne Index by Name
Winneconne Index by Section
Winneconne J.M. White Index
St. Thomas Cemetery Index
Bell Cemetery Index
Every attempt has been made to include an obituary* when one was available. If there is not an obituary linked to the entry it means that one could not be found. To supply an obituary email the historical society or drop a copy at the Village hall.
*Obituaries are posted with permission from The Winneconne News and Rogers Printing Solutions.
For photographs of some headstones from the cemetery
visit the USGenWeb tombstone photograph pages
The Winneconne Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is
an affiliate of the Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin Council of Local History